This beautiful historical building St Georges Basilica is on third castle courtyard, just behind the Cathedral of Saint Vitus. The beautifully looking baroque facade of the basilica captures the eye of every viewer. The entire basilica is different, except for some elements of the interior, in Romanesque style, thus preserving its period character from the period before the rebuilding of Prague Castle after a fire in 1142. The church itself is a three-nave basilica with two towers in the front, one narrower and one wider, a square chapel with an apse and a three-nave crypt.
Firstly the church was founded by Vratislav I about 920 and after his death he was buried there. The church was consecrated on the occasion of the transfer of the remains of St Ludmila from Tetín in 925. Around the year 973 the Benedictine monastery was founded at the basilica and the church was enlarged and rebuilt. The church, together with the monastery, burnt down in 1142. Consequently Abatyh Bert was responsible for its reconstruction. Therefore Abatyh Agnes Přemysl built the Chapel of St Ludmila, south of the chapel of the Basilica.
In the 14th century there was a Gothic reconstruction of the basilica and the monastery. During the Hussite wars, the construction was devastated. At the beginning of the 16th century a southern portal was created. In 1541 there was again a fire and during the subsequent repairs were the arches newly decorated. Today’s baroque façade has been put on basilica in the second half of the 17th century. In 1722 the new chapel of St John from Nepomuk was added. Later, only minor adjustments followed. Until the reconstruction between 1897 and 1908, the medieval, then Romanesque, interior was restored, and most of the stylish elements reconstructed and adapted for the exhibition of the old Czech art of the National Gallery
Visiting Prague castle, do not forget to see St. George’s Basilica. The premises of the monastery at the basilica serve the purpose of the National Gallery, where short-term occasional exhibitions are held here.
119 08 Prague 1, Czechia
+420 224 371 111
Now Open Now Closed
Here you can find some more places which are like this one.